Re: [NTLK] Tim's newton problems.

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 08:31:54 PDT

On Wednesday, June 20, 2001, at 10:39 AM, Tim McCracken wrote:

> Thanks, I did consider a holster idea. One problem is I a clumsy, very
> clumsy. So I already have it in insulated in protective binder of my
> own
> design. Second issue is I always already wear an MP3 device. I use it
> record words I don't understand. (I am learning a new language.)
> Another
> larger device gets awkward. Especial riding a bike.
>
> Other issue that made me consider the Palm device. I am learning
> Taiwanese,
> it is an oral language. But I am also learning Chinese characters. My
> dilemma is input. I don't know Mandarin or Cantonese so those input
> methods
> are out the window (Based on the Chinese phonetic systems, BO Mandarin
> Mo Fo
> Etc). But Palm has a character recognition program, OCR. Very slick. I
> have not seen anything like that for Newton. Too Bad.

Sean Luke has 3 packages that would probably help with that. Check is
web site at <http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/seanl/newton/>.

Here is a little blurb:

-----
CharDict and CharDict+ for NewtonOS 2.x

CharDict is a dictionary of 4000 basic Chinese characters, including
definitions, pronounciations in Mandarin and Cantonese, traditional and
simplified variants, and usage frequency. CharDict+ is all that plus
2600 or even 14,000 compound Chinese words to boot.
-----
Radicals for NewtonOS 2.x

Radicals is a radical/stroke-based Chinese input system designed to be
used like Chinese dictionaries are. Native Chinese won't find it very
useful, but we non-native students of the language will find it
indespensable.
-----
Cantonese Yale Romanization Input Module for NewtonOS 2.x

An input module for Joseph Chen's Chinese Input System that he was kind
enough to make based on data I had available.
-----

Hope this helps, although it won't help with Taiwanese.

-Laurent.