Re: [NTLK] What do you mean? (was: Re: Re[2]: Newton and REX)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 08:11:22 PDT

Having used many different desktop, laptop and handheld systems over the
years, I would find it nice to have the same software on my Newt that is
on my desktop. There are many nice Email programs out there. However,
if my Newt is to replace a laptop, what I need is a duplicate of my
desktop on the Newt.

This is one area that the PocketPC is very nice. Sync'ing and use are
virtually the same as the desktop. For those of us who must take our
work home, it is very convenient to be able to have the same features,
and look and feel as our work computers. Additionally, the syncing would
be perfect.

Even the Palm for, all it's nice features, still does not sync completely
with Outlook. Outlook has features the Palm doesn't. So if you are
desktop centric, you cannot get all of the features into the Palm device.
 Vice versa is okay.

It all depends on what you want to do.

BTW, for my personal stuff, I use simplemail, AOL or Eudora on the Newt.
Yes, the Newt has many nice features. Many of which is not available on
a desktop. However, that aside, for me to use the Newt for work, I must
be able to 100% sync with my desktop. And my desktop is Outlook.

I would pay a lot for Outlook on the Newt. Due to my job, it would be
priceless for me to be able to have all of the features of Outlook on the
Newt, and to be able to have 100% syncing -- both ways.

Instead, what I must do, is use a laptop and transfer my pst files.

With Paul's ATA driver, when it becomes available, I believe that we will
be able to use the IBM 1 GB Microdrive. With storage capabilities like
this, it would enable me to use my Newt vice a laptop, for work if I had
Outlook for the Newt.

Just doing a little thinking and dreaming outside the box.

Sushi