Re: [NTLK] Issue with NCU

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 07:28:29 PDT

On Tuesday, June 19, 2001, at 05:59 PM, Michael C. Wittmann wrote:

> Greetings, folks,
>
> I've been out of the Newton email lists for a while (after years on
> Newtontalk), and have a question for the first time in a long time.
> Since
> Newtontalk is down, possibly I can get some help here.
>
> I am trying to connect my Newton via ethernet to a dual 533 Mhz machine
> with
> 1 GB (yes, gig) of RAM. I am not able to connect via Appletalk to this
> machine, though I can connect the Newton to an iBook (USB) via ethernet
> just
> fine.
>
> I am still investigating issues with the connection between Newton and
> desktop, but here's the question: is there a RAM limit above which
> issues
> might arise? I know it sounds flaky, but it was an idea (I've never
> dreamed
> of that much RAM before...).
>
> More details:
> Newton - MP2000, using 3com card, no problems before when connecting to
> other machines over Appletalk network nor when using crossover cable.
>
> iBook - new machine, 320 MB RAM, NCU runs fine and I can backup and
> synch.
>
> desktop - new machine, 1024 MB RAM, NCU launches, but the Newton cannot
> find
> the Mac on network (once I pick the correct zone). Once, I got a
> connection
> via crossover cable, but that was when setting the computer for a
> worksite.
> When trying to use NCU, no connection was made.
>
> Any hints?

Hi Michael!

I'm replying to you privately, because I wanted you to know that there
is a new NewtonTalk list, which has been setup by Newton users on
equipment owned by Newton users for Newton users. Go to
<http://www.newtontalk.net/> for details on how to join. The list has
over 1100 subscribers and average 60-70 messages per day. So, if you
have any other question, you are more likely to get an answer there than
on this list.

That being said, I don't think there is any RAM limit that would cause
problems. My PowerBook G3 has 256 MB of RAM and my Blue & White G3 has
640 MB of RAM and I don't have any problem sync'ing.

There is something that is not clear from your message: how do you
connect your Newton to your small Ethernet network? Are you using a hub
or a router?

Then, you need to make sure that both your Newton and your Macs are set
to use AppleTalk
over Ethernet.

Let me know if you still have problems...

-Laurent.