Re: [NTLK] Tough decision...sell my Newt? Buy a Palm

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:05:18 PDT

Hi Drew,

Tough decision. Been there a couple of times.

I switched to the Palm OS devices soon after Apple discontinued making
the Newt.

I didn't want to, but needed to out of necessity. At the time, I was
traveling a lot and was afraid of loosing my data. At the time, I was
Newt centric. So all I did was back up the Newt to the desktop.
However, when Apple cancelled the Newt, I was afraid that if I lost or
broke my Newt, and was not able to buy another one, I would not be able
to access all of my contact and calendar data.

So I made the decision to transistion to the Palm. I enjoyed using the
Palm. However, as the years went by, I become more and more frustrated
with the small display, short battery life (try using them with
backlighting on -- the batteries don't last all that long), lack of HWR,
and storage ability.

Today, some of that has changed with the new Palm OS devices.

However, when I play around with my Palm, I can really see what I am
missing.

Palm OS devices are very nice, and IMHO are head and shoulders above the
WinCE -- oops, I mean PocketPC devices. I've used the Compaq, HP and
Casio PocketPC's and find them all to have many shortcomings compared to
the Palm OS devices.

Anyhow, I've opted to stay with the Newt now that I've transistioned
back. I do like the Newt. If you ever want to see a stark comparison,
try both in a low level light condition where you need to use the
backlight. The Newt is georgeous.

Syncing is another issue. The Palm is much better in that regard.
However, there are some packages available to help you do that. Since I
don't use them, I will leave others to comment on those apps.

For me, I am sticking with the Newt for the next couple of years. Then I
will look again at the market and re-evaluate my options.

Bottom line, is that I have what works for me. That is what you need to
deterimine first and foremost, then go with whatever system that is. You
have to be comfortable using whatever you choose.

Sushi