[NTLK] Re: Dead dongle vs. USB

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 15:04:17 PDT

on 13/06/01 17:33, Frederick Heald at justfred_at_netcom.com wrote:

> While we're talking about this, it has occurred to me:
>
> If Apple had chosen USB (which I believe was available tho not common; I
> could be wrong) as the interface instead of the interconnect port (which
> is basically the same thing) the Newton might have been a success.
>
> Better connectivity; better docking; more options for peripherals; no
> dongle; multiple connections via hubs; and maybe even a better synch
> program to go along with it.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not an electronic technician at all, but if the electric specs are
somehow different, it might be very hard to add a USB port on the Newton.
Not only that, but you would have to patch probably some very obscure and
low level functions in the core OS to make it available to applications.

-Laurent.