Re: [NTLK] Looking for an eMate 300/uMP Heap Question

From: Samuel Jacobson (sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 01:40:25 EDT

Dr. Shaw,
  As always I appreciate yours, and everyone's, time and advice. :-)

  I simply want the eMate for primarily working on papers be they personal,
business, or educational, as well as taking notes when I need to (such as by
Hypernewt). At the moment my main drive is a machine I can use to easy
transport and work my Thesis on. Yet my thesis is already 20 pages, which is
small for this type of research, but I see the paper being somewhere between
40-60 or 70 pages at the nexus of the work (inclusive of figures and tables,
which I will leave out of the eMate). Thus the eMate must be able to handle
a single text document of 20-60 pages in length. Is this a problem?

  Yet I have no worry over storing my papers, such as my Thesis, on a PCMCIA
card if I can find one and then leaving the internal memory free for other
items (I use the freeze package program on my uMP 2000).

  Ironically though I have already run into a bit of a possible heap problem
with my uMP2000. I have found that when taking lecture notes, which you well
know for the sciences is full of table and graphs, it takes up a lot of heap
even though I store ALL my notes (and even Hypernewt) on a 20 MB PCMCIA
card. Does this mean that, for either the uMP 2000 or the eMate, I will run
out of heap in only a few dozen lecture notes?

  Thank you for all of your help.

Respectfully,

Sam