[NTLK] Is this possible??? WABA & Newt's Cape & 802.11b!

From: dwatson_at_robertweedplywood.com
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 17:08:07 EDT

I have an "insanely great" idea, and wanted to see if anyone thinks it is
possible. My idea is to eventually get a 2100 and, using an 802.11 wireless
card, be able to stroll around our complex and remotely access Windows NT
workstations! That would be my Newton killer app! If I could get my
manger to buy a MP2100 for and it would work, I would drool like Homer
Simpson. Any feedback would be helpful. I got this idea from the following
areas:

(1) There is a freeware program for remote workstation administration for
Windows (and other platforms) by AT&T called VNC, or virtual network
computing. This is a client/server software implementation, but the server
part also has a mini-web server using java, so by launching your browser
and pointing it at the workstation (i.e. http://192.168.2.126:5800) you can
password login to the pc and gain access to it and have a java created
display of that desktop.

(2) I found out about the "WABA" implementation of Java for various PDAs,
including the Newton.

(3) In about six months our company is going to install an 802.11b wireless
network (we already have had a site survey), and my manager has told he is
allowing for the IS staff to get some kind of remote devices.....I have
seen recent information about Newton drivers getting written for 802.11
cards....

Lastly, I say kudo's to the computer geek who hid the mini-hub and hooked
up his Newton! As a network administrator I want to both laugh and be
disapproving at the same time....

For the other fellow who wants to do this with static addresses, I would
suggest getting a program like Pinger by Rhino9 and pinging his entire
local addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0 to x.x.x.254) to see which addresses are
available (so there is no TCP/IP conflict to tip off administrators....)
and do the same thing. I don't think there is a way for most medium or low
end network admin software to detect something like a D-Link or 3com mini
hub. They only have a MAC address; you can't ping them. I have even seen
a device which is basically a "Y" splitter for CAT5 ethernet at (Radio
Shack?), which I didn't even think was possible. That would even be more
stealthy. When you see network admins coming down the hall to see why the
heck two TCP/IP addresses are coming from your cable, make some kind of
diversion, like talking about leaked plot development you know about in
Star Wars Episode II, and quickly hide your newton and cabling....

Dan Watson