Re: [NTLK] SER-001 installed!

From: James Clark (clarkjm_at_appleisp.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 11:41:49 EDT

> On Wednesday, July 25, 2001, at 11:16 AM, James Clark wrote:
>
>>> David provided instructions on how to reduce the screw's overhead,
>>> but I
>>> don't remember if it was on the pcb or the screw itself.
>>>
>>> -Laurent.
>>
>> Laurent,
>>
>> I also had the screw sticking up above the board. I used a metal
>> clipper and
>> cut off just a little less than an eight of an inch and tightened it
>> down.
>> Solved that problem.
>
> James,
>
> You mean you cut the screw itself at its base?
>
> -Laurent.

Backed the screw out, cut of a little off the threaded end and replaced. BTW
if you put the small screw in first, then tighten down the "longer screw"
the newton will not boot, at least in my case. The newton asked me if I
wanted to erase all data then would not even start up. I removed the SER,
tried several attempts at restarting with no success, a dead newt! After an
hour of prayer to the newton gods it restarted. Put the SER back in,
tightened the long screw down first, then the smaller one snug, put
everything back together and it worked.

Nice to have my little buddy back.

DRJim