[NTLK] newbie needs help

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 19:36:58 EDT

> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:54:42 -0700
> From: "Andrew C. Rempt" <acrempt_at_pacbell.net>
> Subject: [NTLK] newbie needs help

Hi and welcome :)

> I can't get the Newt to connect with my Mac. I bought a generic
> serial cable, and I dowloaded and installed NBU 1.0, but when I try
                                              ^^^^^^^^^
> to initialize the connection on the 130, it does the barber pole and
> tells me that there was no response.

You need to install the *NCU* (Newton Connection Utility ->check unna.org),
the NBU only works with MPs below NOS2.0, IIRC.

If it is not working now, make sure that you're using AppleTalk, AT is
active, and there really is no modem or similar is set to use the port
(although this should be irrelevant, as the modem won't use AT..shouldn't
it?)

> As far as I can tell, there is nothing using the Mac's serial port,
> so I'm at a loss here. I have no idea how to trouble shoot this, so I
> would appreciate any help.

...and if it *still* not working, visit a *different* dealer to get a new
cable, it won't kill you. The cable actually was the problem when I first
tried to connect my MP130 (somehow I miss it now...), and I kept the german
users busy with my "no connection" troubles for a week before I found out.

>Also, is there anyway to mount a Newton formatted flash RAM on a Mac,
>so I can just drag packages over?

Not such a good idea, AFAIR you'll kill the card doing that.

You may also get a program like "autotyper" (->Versiontracker) that will
correct any files, including .pkg (you need an intact one to "teach" it
.pkg), using simple drag&drop. Very recommended, as *many* of those get
screwed up by beeing transmitted through the web.

Regards,

Oliver :9

--
"Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If it's a Mac,
he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -Tom Clancy