Re: [NTLK] uMP2000/2100 vs. eMate

From: Ivan T. Shaw (ishaw_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 09:51:27 EDT

At 08:32 AM 7/22/01 -0400, Samuel Jacobson wrote:
>2). For Dr. Shaw (or anyone applicable) with the eMate 300 being touted
> as quite rugged is it possible to take the unit out to do field work for
> extended periods of time without having to worry about damage from
> cold or moisture (within reason of course as I am not planning on diving
> with the unit :-)

I cannot remember who was doing this, but someone on one of the three
versions of NewtonTalk I've been subscribed to took the eMate along for
camping trips. Tima Scientific also designed field work software for
Newtons (120s and 130s from what I can tell) so I'm fairly sure that the
units can withstand field use so long as you take precautions (e.g. sturdy
bag, no excessive cold, no immersion in water). Tima was also selling
refurbished eMates and they may have had ones with DRAM modules
<http://www.timasci.com> if you want to try.

I used to put my eMate into a tissue culture hood from time to time; the
outside was wiped down with 95% ethanol and left to equilibrate in the
laminar air flow but apart from a Bunsen burner being turned on within the
hood, I wouldn't call it a hostile environment.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ishaw