Re: [NTLK] Small Talk

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 20:18:07 EDT

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 23:48:18 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> on 12/07/01 21:53, Mark Rollins at mark_at_mrollins.com wrote:
>

> > From: "Gary Moody" <gmoody_at_hotmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [NTLK] Small Talk
> > Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:33:22
> >

> >> Yep, the very first OOP language, developed at the Xerox Palo Alto
> > Research
> >> Center (PARC), as was the
> >
> > Somewhere, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I thought smoeone
> > was doing a smallTalk implementation on the Newton?!?! I'll have to
> > search my prodigious Newton software collection, and let you know.
>
> I remember some french guy (no, not Paul Guyot) that did introduce a
> SmallTalk package on the Newton. I don't remember the name, though.
>
> -Laurent.
> --

I'm interested, just in the offchance it'll turn up.
Just a thought but there was a team at arizona.edu who might have handled
something close: i remember them for the icon project: a structured
BASIC-like (a bit more like Pascal, actually!) high language which had,
among other things, some pretty nice text-string handling tools but that was
when I was coding most of the time on an Atari STFM: maybe they may have
coded a newton friendly version but,
here's hoping!

John Johnson