Re: [NTLK] Newton Book Resources (was: ANN: Memento Mori NewtBook)

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 19:43:10 EDT

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:05:05 -0500, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >The one resource that seems to be overlooked a LOT is Paperback by David

> >Fedor, one of the original Newton team. It's available at
>
> I didn't know David Fedor was on the Newton team. Cool.
>
> <snip>

Way cool and dead easy to use too: just drop the ascii-file on the Icon and
you've got a nice "standalone"-type .pkg: I'll be, hopefully, posting
whatever I've put together up there,.. that is, if it is any good.
It would be nice if you can hop from screen "page" to "page" and back, like
in Steve's NewtScape but..... can't complain. Ace program!!

> >I've put a bunch of books into it...no hassles. Nothing like a bit of
> >William Gibson or Tom Clancy in the airport to while the time...
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Gary
>
> Ah...another alt.binaries.e(-)book(s) devotee?

I did pick up another book format: small file, wicca.pkg.
Loaded a treat but, when it came to reading, all I got was an error message
about screen size.

> It's NICE to be able to have a sizeable chunk of my paper library always
> with me. Mostly on my Palm unit (Handera 330) recently as it has a much
> nicer, clearer and larger screen than the other PalmOS units do. Also a

> much larger memory card (I have a 128MB CF card -- you can get as much as

> a 1GB card) and I also have a 32MB SD/MMC card (can go up to 128MB SD
> cards currently).
>
> I've created and read quite lot of e-books with PaperBack on my Newton,
> too. The even brighter backlight and larger screen is excellent for
> e-books (one of the things I still use my Newton for!) The Newton's
> books don't compress as well as the palm's do, though. Due to Unicode,

I've picked up an UniCode book file but I still haven't a clue as to what to
do with it!

> probably.
>
> Fedor's PaperBack rocks!