Re: [NTLK] eBay scumbags redux

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 13:20:12 EDT

on 14/07/01 01:43, John Venzon at jvenzon_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Newtonians,
>
> The fun just keeps going. Since eBay hasn't busted me on my 1 cent/free
> eMate service manual auction, I've set up a little quickie website and
> linked to it from the eBay auction for newbies. Otto's suggestion, genius
> that he is. The quickie site, in case you are bored is:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jvenzon/index.html
>
> And my fight to discredit people from printing out PDF manuals and selling
> them on eBay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254803432&r=0&t=0&sh
> owTutorial=0&ed=995530298&indexURL=0&rd=1
>
> As it stands now, I've gotten 21 emails from folks who stumbled onto the
> page on eBay saying, "I had no idea, thanks." Total number of downloads: 47
> on the first day. Hopefully my bandwidth will hold out until the end of the
> auction!
>
> I'm wondering if we can take this a step further, and make a sort of "pact"
> that if any of us sell Newton stuff on eBay, we insert a plug for our
> favorite Newton site for newbies. This old Newt, Newtontalk, whatever.
>
> What do you folks think? eBay can't object to legit references in legit
> auctions, I mean REALLY.

I don't think they will prevent you from doing this. As long as nobody
complains, they won't spend the time to check it out.

BTW, you could have a live HTML link in your listing. Maybe you could revise
it to add the link to your description? That would certainly be more
effective. I usually compose my description in Adobe PageMill and then copy
and paste the source in the description field of the new auction listing.
Works very well. I'm sure you could do the same using another HTML editor.

Good luck!

-Laurent.