Re: [NTLK] Nushield Question?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 15:58:00 EDT

on or about 7/13/01 3:34 PM, the following may or may not have been typed by
bpearce_at_cloud9.net at bpearce_at_cloud9.net:

>> Good Heavens!! What in the world sort of use could there be that would
>> induce that much wear??? The HWR may be excellent, but if I'm gonna write
>> THAT much, I'm attaching the keyboard.
>
> Frequently-accessed icons on the button bar (especially the scrolling arrows
> and overview
> button) will exhibit wear on the screen as time goes by, even when you're just
> tapping them. (Of
> course, if you use Dash Board's Launcher, it can get worse.) I've also found
> that certain controls
> in applications you use on a regular basis (or even controls from different
> applications in
> consistent locations, like close boxes), can exhibit wear over time. Screen
> wear is just about
> unavoidable, even under the best of circumstances.

I suppose this could happen, although it would be really hard to see such
wear on, say, the scrolling arrows/overview button, since that part of the
screen has the printed underlay. I guess I just haven't figured out how to
integrate the Newt into my daily life as deeply as some others have, because
there just isn't anything on the Newt that I use THAT much that there would
ever be any danger of wearing things.

> (But if you've used your MessagePad long enough for it to reliably recognize
> your handwriting
> more often than not, you may find yourself typing at the keyboard less and
> less. I think I've used
> my keyboard *once* in three or four years.)

Mine has been recognizing my handwriting reliably practically since the
moment I got it, but then I gave up cursive AGES ago because mine was never
recognizable as anything other than scribble. ;-) The problem isn't
recognition, it's speed -- when you hit the edge of the screen every other
word, that tends to slow you down. Even with pen & paper my writing speed
is nearly the same as my typing speed, so the keyboard is probably the
smartest thing I got for the Newt. I just wish that when typing checklists
and outlines that there were command-key combos for some of the buttons on
the screen.

- Eric.