[NTLK] SER-001 problems!

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 16:36:55 EDT

(sending both to List and direct to Mr. Humphreys)

Hi,

I got my SER-001 last night and installed it with no problems (took me all
of 10 minutes from start to finish). That was nice!

However, I can't get it to work properly with any of the serial
communications apps on my Newton. It appears that it RECEIVES data OK, but
doesn't SEND anything.

Here's what I tried:

* Sloup (data received by Newt only -- data Newt sends is never received at
the desktop)
* PT100 (data typed into a terminal emulator at the desktop shows up on the
Newton, but not vice-versa)

And the following don't work at all:

* Dock
* X-Port
* Quickport
* Quickpress
* RAS serial Internet connection setup

I tried a power off/power on cycle to see if the Newt needs to scan the
serial port to detect the presence of a cable -- that had no effect. Also
tried resetting with the serial cable attached -- nada.

Everything works fine when I plug the same serial cable into a dongle in the
Interconnect port and connect the traditional way.

Possibilities?

1. I'm doing something wrong, such as I have something set wrong on the Newt
side. (I've never seen a pref or extension to select/activate this serial
port. Am I missing something?) I've tried different port speeds... I can't
think of anything else to try.

2. I improperly installed the SER-001

3. I received a broken SER-001.

Any other possibilities?

It sure looks nice sitting there where that useless plastic plug used to be!
Hope I can get it working!

Anybody else been able to use these apps with the SER-001?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

-Jeremy