Re: [NTLK] Newtools&In-Reply-To=<B771FAA0.D65F%fyzycyst@home.com>

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 15:29:57 EDT

This has been a big topic of discussion recently. Unfortunately, one simply
can't exchange reg. codes (usually) as the code is unique and based on your
identity as entered into your Newt. So, dealing with most abandonware would
require cracking the software to either patch out the code that checks for
the registration, or to determine the algorithm for generating valid codes.
I *think* that the consensus of our community was to do our level best to
hunt down the authors before anything else and either convince them to take
our money or to release the reg. code generation scheme (and possibly the
source code). Anything beyond that entails varying degrees of legal risk.

If you're worried about personal liability for using a commercial program
you didn't pay for, then why not put an amount of money equal to the price
of the software in escrow for the copyright holder? Then if they sue you for
damages (individual copyright violations are subject to civil, not criminal,
action) you can offer to settle for the money in escrow. If they take you to
court you can move to have settled through arbitration (which judges love
because it keeps $50 lawsuits out of the courts) or, if you lose, you'll
have a judgment against you for the damages, which will probably be covered
by the amount you've already put in escrow.

Very, very insubstantial risk as I see it.

-Jeremy