Re: [NTLK] Problem with NCU 1.0 on NT

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 13:44:17 EDT

Cannot download Newton Works files (Export) although I was able to
download an empty file and it was created on the NT machine. Backup
failed after starting to backup, it did list several sections, but then
gave a communications failure (-1).

This is pretty much a known problem with NCU. Apparently it expects
application data in a specific format, and if data gets corrupted or even
just formatted in an unexpected way, it crashes with the generic -1
Communications Error.

Usually this happens to me if a Notepad Note contains multiple overlapping
text fields or a too-long paragraph. You might try filing your Notes store
onto to a RAM card, unmounting the card, and trying your Export again. This
usually works for me. Once in a while I get a "corrupted" Works document and
through the process of elimination (file on card, dismount card, try export,
repeat) I can find the offender, file it off to a card, and do a successful
backup or export.

The "Slowdown.exe" kludge has never been the slightest bit of help to me. I
get the problem with both the Windows and the Mac NCU.

This is undoubtedly just one of those unsolved bugs that Apple gifted us
with.

I haven't been able to back up my Newton using NCU (or NBU for that matter)
in over 2 years.

-Jeremy