Re: [NTLK] Newtools

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 12:44:16 EDT

on or about 7/11/01 12:25 PM, the following may or may not have been typed
by Gregory J. Wayman at gwayman_at_earthlink.net:

> Brings up a point on some of these software companies that have
> gone under, What is the groups thought on exchanging reg. codes
> on projects that have met there demise? I have no problem paying
> for software where it is possible, and god knows I do not want to
> stifle any Newton software development.

This has been a big topic of discussion recently. Unfortunately, one simply
can't exchange reg. codes (usually) as the code is unique and based on your
identity as entered into your Newt. So, dealing with most abandonware would
require cracking the software to either patch out the code that checks for
the registration, or to determine the algorithm for generating valid codes.
I *think* that the consensus of our community was to do our level best to
hunt down the authors before anything else and either convince them to take
our money or to release the reg. code generation scheme (and possibly the
source code). Anything beyond that entails varying degrees of legal risk.

(BTW, did anyone ever hook up with an attorney on this?? Recall, Apple is
so aggressive about trademark infringement because failure to actively
protect a trademark results in loss of the trademark. Does this apply to
copyright? If that principle DOES apply to copyright, then we're probably
OK. But, I don't think it does... Not that I'm a lawyer anyway...)

- Eric.