Re: [NTLK] OFFTOPIC: The Cube Is Dead!%26In-Reply-To=%26lt;MDAEMON-F200107082302.AA022842MD48500@mail.ecity.net>

From: Greg & Jeanette Wayman (gwayman_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 00:30:31 EDT

> >On Sunday, July 8, 2001, at 11:54 AM, Bill Davis wrote:
> >> Nope, it was the Lisa. I'm positive. I was reading a web site a few
> >> weeks ago that had scans of the articles from the paper of the city where
> >> they dumped 'em about the dumping. For tax reasons, it was easier/cheaper
> >> for apple to landfill 'em than to donate 'em.
> >>

> >Almost. They did a big trade up program because they wanted to take them
> >out of the support loop. They offered a quite generous trade up from Lisa
> >to Mac Plus with Hard Disk 20, which included a data migration. (I know, I
> >got contracted to do some of the migrations.) It was quite sad really, the
> >Lisa has a lot in common with the Newton, it was a machine far ahead of its
> >time. By the way, the Lisa was significantly superior to early Macs.
> >(Multitasking OS, Document Centred OS, Hard Drives, Larger Screen etc.)
> >
> >Kim Howe
> >khowe_at_omninet.net.au
>
> I'm aware of the tradeup. I took advantage of it too (or rather, the
> company I worked for at the time did.)
>
> That's not what I was talking about, though. They dumped remaining
> units they couldn't sell. Perhaps tradeup units too.
>
> - Bill

In an effort to kill this monster I created, I quote from the Almighty
"Mac Bathroom reader"

"Apple officially discontinued the Macintosh XL, ne'e Lisa, on April 29th, 1985. and
the last
Lisa rolled off the assembly line in the Carrollton, Texas factory on May 15th, 1985.
Sun
Remarketing of Logan, Utah purchased the 5000 unsold Lisas in inventory and took
several thousand more used and broken units on consignment. It did quite well selling
the
Lisas after upgrading them with the latest Mac technology, but in mid-September 1989,

Apple decided to literally bury the Lisa once and for all. Under the watchful eye of
armed
security guards, 2700 Lisas that had been on consignment were interred at the Logan
Landfill (880 cubic yards @ $1.95 per yard.) so that Apple could receive a tax
write-off."

Now DIE you nasty thread.......We know resume to our regular programming.......

Greg