Re: [NTLK] Ricochet Stuff (was: newtontalk Digest V1 #52)

From: Way-Chung Wong (firstvln_at_mail.earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 17:15:37 EDT

>With the 2100 and the 128k Ricochet, do you need to
>store you're internet apps on a storage card as
>opposed to internal storage? And, if yes, why?

I think the only reason people store the internet apps on a card is that
they take up a lot of space on the Newt. Also, because of the modem's
heavy battery drain, there is a definite possiblity of corrupting the
adjacent slot's PC card.

>Is there an approximate speed anyone has determined,
>just wondering if it is worth the cost?

 Don't know the speed on the Newton but on a laptop it is very good in a
strong coverage area. I get an average speed of about 130kbps. But
recently it has been very slow (30-60kbps). Ricochet said they will be
adding more boxes to the tower in my area to help fix the problem.
Hopefully the fees will go down.

>Are there any special scripts needed to make the card work?

No. You set the Newton's modem prefs to "Newton Fax Modem". I also had
success with "28.8 and faster".

>I am thinking of using Earthlink for service....for the money
>you get both analog and wireless access.

I was thinking about that too, but WWC locked me into a one year
contract. Also, Earthlink doesn't have the PC card for sale. You must use
the external Ricochet USB modem and you can only use their modem. Can't
buy the PC card version from another store and use it.

I am thinking of creating a webpage detailing the setup of the Ricochet
and Newton (Similar to Mark Rollin's page). I am currently waiting on
Metricom's chapter 11 woes before I start the page. Would there much
interest in this site?

Way