Re: [NTLK] Serial port speed

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 10:07:02 EDT

> >Ummm, I wonder where the sources are?
>
> On Philz's website:
> http://vyx.net/~philz/app-dir/FastSerialConn/

Thanks Paul :)

> I'm not totally sure about what you are trying to do.

OK. I have been looking at the possibility of using the serial
port and keyboard on an accelerated Newton.

The plan is this:

1. Replace the 3.6864MHz crystal with a 4.9152Mhz giving a 33% increase.

2. Install a driver for 28800bps.

3. When 28800bps is increased by 33% you get 38400bps. Sound familiar?

4. Change the keyboard ceramic resonator from 4MHz to 5.33Mhz.

If this all works, you would have an accelerated Newt that could use the
keyboard
and communicate serially. At least at 38400bps.

Until I get around to trying this, it is just pure conjecture.

Could be interesting though!

> >Anyway, if I can get the Newton to communicate at 28800bps, I think
> >I can do a hardware hack to get the keyboard and serial comms to work
> >normally:)
>
> Even when not accelerated?

Well, there would have to be a provision to switch the keyboard resonator,
but, in answer to your question, yes.

Regards,

David Humphreys