Re: [NTLK] Newton Printing Problems

From: jimthej (jimthej_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 20:47:31 EDT

on 7/3/01 11:00 AM, Woo Lee at vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> The IC was designed to minimize the amount of drivers in Newts. OS 1.x. =
> With the OS 2.x you just download the drivers into the Newt. since there =
> was a larger memory store.
> But the problem is Epson changed the serial protocol on their printers. =
> There was a post about this in the 'old NTLK' archives.
> ------------------
>> Back before I purchased my cable, I was told by a sales rep (from Newton
>> I think) that the plug contains an integrated circuit which is polled by
>> the newt when the cable is plugged in and a printer is selected.
>> Apparently all the printer settings on the IC are downloaded into newt
>> memory and available until the next brainwipe.
Basically what you have to do is treat late model Epson printers like
parallel printers. Any Mac serial to parallel port adapter will do if you
first load the drivers from the archive. My Epson 740 and 880 both work fine
with the adapter. Also the Epson 1520 at school. I just have to unhook it
from the BillyBox.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker