Re: [NTLK] Issues with the SER-001

From: Paul Grothaus (pgrothaus_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 23:42:06 EDT

Yahoooo! No more dongles!!

I successfully installed my SER-001 today. I found opening the case to be
very difficult. I finally looked at the instructions at
http://home.earthlink.net/~es2/Newton-KnowledgeBase.html. I was very
carefully trying to disengage the clips at the battery end when the entire
back piece came loose in an instant. My heart almost stopped, I fully
expected all the plastic clips to be broken. Miraculously, nary a single
clip was damaged.

Installation then proceeded without a hitch. To my surprise, there is no
discernable bulge in the back of the case, top and bottom seams are all
flush and the door clips work as they always have. Best of all, the
keyboard, serial and appletalk all function perfectly with the new port.

As we say in Hawaii: A big Mahalo (thank you) to you Dave Humphreys.

Aloha,

Paul Grothaus

P.S. what happens if one plugs a connector into both the SER001 and the
interconnect port via the dongle, e.g. Appletalk cable in one and the
keyboard in the other?? I assume neither works correctly and am too afraid
to actually try it.