[NTLK] Yet more SER-001 experimentation

From: Sean Luke (seanl_at_cs.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 01:25:49 EDT

So I cracked opn my MP2K again to see what more might be done to deal with
the back-door folding issue. After reseating the board and
(gently) getting it as pressed in as much as possible, I closed the MP2K
but did not tighten down the screw closest to the serial port as much as
possible. It's still screwed in there pretty well, but this gives the
plastic some more giveway, especially the part closest to the tab that
holds the door down. It seems to work reasonably well at mitigating the
issue, though with my thick, stiff Megahertz modem in the top PCMCIA slot,
less leeway is provided. Still it seems to handle the issue. I'm still
wondering if the removing the inner film would be a good or bad idea.

As to power cycling: the #1 thing I use my keyboard for is PT100.
Inevitably fire up PT100 on my log in script before I get around to
putting in the keyboard -- but at that point it's too late, PT100 doesn't
let you turn off the machine while it's got the modem, as well it
shouldn't. What to do? Well, maybe there's a software approach in this
situation. Perhaps Paul might be able to dome digging and determine what
the power-up check is that gets the keyboard running. Or maybe there's an
NS function which causes a keyboard check, though I don't recall
any. I'll look into the possibility of a little utility.

Finally, Dave are there any solder points, easy or hard, on the board for
getting at the Vout and ground for the audio output? Might be interesting
to try hacking in an 8mm audio jack.

Sean, happy to not need his dongle...