Re: [NTLK] [OT] What OS on a LC 575

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 21:02:35 EST

On 12/30/01, Philip Katz quoth:
>I am getting a Newton 2100. I plan to hook it up to my LC 575 since my
>iBook and iMac don't have serial. Right now it has OS 7.5.5 on it. Is that
>good enough or should I upgrade to say 8.0? On a similar note, should I
>even use the 575 or would I be better buying a serial adapter or using my
>Quarda 700?

I use a Performa 575 for my development and docking station. I use
8.1 and 7.5.5 on it, almost exclusively. I do occasionally boot into
7.1 for really old stuff. I'd have to say that 7.5.5 or 7.6 would be
my choice. Unless you need the features of 8.1 (i.e. Open Transport,
HFS+ access) there's not a lot to gain, and some things just seem
happier under 7.5.5.

Both are stable, reasonably fast and pretty cheap (or free).

If you do go the modern route, I would suggest having at least 36 mb
in the 575 before you go for 8.1, it's a dog on virtual memory unless
you've upgraded to a full '040 processor.

As far as should you use it or your iMac or iBook, well, it may be
quicker and cheaper to add a serial adaptor to either of those than
get the old LC up to speed, and they will be loads faster. Even
better would be to go the Ethernet route, so I'd advise to use the LC
to get the Newt up and running, get an ethernet card, and then don't
look back.

later,

--
ben.