Re: [NTLK] Any way to get sound files out of a Newt?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 20:57:48 EST

on 29/12/2001 8:31 AM, Andy Pasulka at anp919_at_earthlink.net wrote:

>> Use Johnathan Kip's BinHexer to transfer binaries from/to the desktop to the
>> Newton by de/encoding them on the Newton:
>> http://hometown.aol.com/NewtsPrism/BinHexer/BinHexer.html
>
> This is, in fact, tucked in the FAQ at
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB3b
>
> ANP

Oops, I didn't pick that up in the FAQ -- I guess I was looking for the word
"sound" or similar. Thanks to Andy for the suggestion. (At least I think it
was Andy, despite the quotes before that part of his message, 'cause I can't
find any previous message he might be quoting).

Just tried the BinHexer demo and it worked fine. Sound recorded in NotePad
at lowest quality resulted in a *.au.gsm file, which played on the Mac with
QuickTime 5 (QT4 didn't recognize it).

BinHexer is invoked using the routing icon, it converts the file into an
encoded NewtWorks text document, which you export using NCU, then drop it on
StuffIt Expander or something to decode. Presto - the sound is on your
desktop.

And Peter, thanks for the delivery room story. Thanks to you, my wife now
realizes I am merely a *moderate* Newton fanatic!

Michael