[NTLK] [OT] Recycling old macs was Closet Quadra Users [Was: Newton Software - Fixed

From: arthur battram (apb_at_cityplex.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 18:55:22 EST

Hi Guys

I just can't stand to see functioning classy and classic technology not
working, so I've donated my old PowerBook 180 and a friends 165 to a school
that I found advertising for old versions of software. I also gave them
tons of old floppies, manuals and outofdateware.

Also the school is in a rural area badly hit by the foot and mouth crisis
[or rather by the government's mishandling of it in league with the big
farmers' agri-business club a.k.a. The National Farmers' Union].

How about donating some of your old but functioning kit to schools and
charities as a sort of CyberFarmAid?

[note to young people: Farm Aid was Neil Young n some rocking chums raising
money for your US farmers in 1986ish. Neil Young is an old rocker. 'Rock'
is a form of geezer music played on AOR radio]

Here in the UK, most Macs go down a foodchain of friends/partners/relatives
and if none of them want it it can be donated as above.

Given the amounts of energy expended creating a computer, we owe it to the
planet to keep it alive till it reaches the end of its natural.

Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Keep on rocking in 3rd world...
NRK inna UK...