Re: [NTLK] xerox

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 10:28:00 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 12/21/01 10:12 AM, the entity known as Oliver
Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de conveyed the following:

>> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:16:05 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] xerox
>> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com>
>>
>> You know... Given all the talk about stuff that SJ supposedly 'lifted' from
>> PARC when the Mac started, one could speculate that he had a pretty good
>> idea Xerox would prevail and THAT'S why he's never tried to pick up Palm (as
>> many have urged him to).
>
> Was Apple ever sued by Xerox?
> I guess if Xerox makes PALM stop selling Grafitti-equipped devices, PALM
> will be dead. Just dead. So they'll licence, but IF they'd fall dead, Steve
> could just pick them up, without any hassle as Xerox woule already be
> justified, and he would gain a nice load of know-how.

IIRC, it came close to that at one point, but some sort of agreement was
reached. My memory of this is very fuzzy, since it was probably 10 years
ago or so.

Yes, if is summarily executed, SJ should pick up the carcass for a song,
bump the device up a bit in size and fold in the Newt technology.

And I know JUST the form factor... I've been refreshing myself on my HP-28S
calculator. (Which I wouldn't do if there were something like Calerga's
LyME on the Newt, but that's another story.) This is one calculator I'm
going to keep until the Grim Reaper comes for it himself. Fits easily into
a suitcoat pocket, light and could not only accommodate a screen as big as
my MP130 (including the 'silk-screened' area), but the other half could
accommodate a keyboard of sorts.

- Eric.