Re: [NTLK] Faster serial connection?

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 10:28:02 EST

On 12/19/01, speedy2 quoth:
>Any suggestions for faster PC to Newton serial connectivity?

Your best best is the NCU hack that allows 56k connectivity. much
faster. Also make sure you're updated your NCU to be non-beta, or use
the full version, as adding these after doing the hack will undo it.
Anyway, I've got instructions on an old page here:
<http://www.newted.org/~1f2frfbf/answers.html>

>I saw that the Package Installer 1.01 for NOS 1.x supports upto 57600 but
>that doesn't seem to work on the 2100.

Nor with windows 2k. It only works on Windows 3.11, and 1.x machines.

As for work over ethernet, I think you may want to check this out:
<http://www.tempel.org/newton/>

It's not quite as full featured as NCU, but will allow TCP/IP connections.

Also you can run Basilisk II, emulate a mac, and then use that
version of NCU to connect over ethernet.

Options, options, options. Or you could just do like me and get an
old mac for the sole purpose of connecting to your newt. but I don't
mind having scads of computers lurking around my house, you/your wife
might differ. ;)

later

--
ben.