Re: [NTLK] Can you upgrade intenal 2100 storage? (Was: MP200

From: Vincent Lee (vinclee_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 07:51:42 EST

On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 06:41 PM, Neil McGillivray wrote:

> On the SNUG website, it says a DVT Messagepad, what is that?
>
> On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 12:38 am, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> wrote:
>
>> Re: [NTLK] Can you upgrade intenal 2100 storage? (Was: MP200
> --
> Neil McGillivray
>
> tel : +46 (0)31 25 12 19
> mob : +46 (0)703 25 00 45
> mob : +44 (0)7802 48 52 32

This is from 'Newton FAQ: Part II - Hardware' ;

"
h) I have a Newton MP2x00/eMate 300 EVT/DVT or a "Newton NotePad". What
is
it?

EVT and DVT are two levels of prototype in the Newton program.
The initial prototypes were called "EVT" ("Engineering Verification
Test").
After the EVT units were tested for a while, and various changes were
made,
the DVT ("Development Verification Test") units were created. DVT units
were supposed to be closer to the final production devices.
Initial EVT prototypes were similar to the final MP2K, except instead of
the StrongARM processor, they had the ARM710 processor (same as the
eMate).
A second batch of EVT devices ("EVT 2" devices) with StrongARM processors
were built.
A batch of DVT devices was built. Most of the units were configured as
the
original MP2000. There were a few 4mb DRAM devices built in the DVT run
(they therefore are like MP2100s). Besides, some units have a special ROM
Board with an additional 8 MB of Flash for Internal memory (bringing the
total to 12 MB). There may have been units with Flash instead of ROM and
with 16 MB of ROM instead of 8.
The Newton NotePad were probably DVT units of the original MessagePad.
It's
not known how they differed from the production OMPs.
"

vincent

--

Vincent Lee http://homepage.mac.com/vinclee/newton/