[NTLK] Don't play with signature or How I crashed the system

From: Denis Krasnov (dkrasnov_at_nyc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 21:39:22 EST

I had rather unfortunate experience lately. It gave me quite a fright and
cost me several hours of sweaty toil to restore the system back to where it
was. And even though there is a happy ending to this story I will never feel
safe again unless someone tell me that it just was plainly my fault and that
everybody knew already that no one should ever conceive doing such a thing
in the first place.

It¹s hard to be absolutely sure what crashed your system simply because
you¹ve obviously has been caught unaware by that happened.
But it started when I was trying to make my signature in the Owner Info look
a bit prettier. I thought why couldn¹t I draw my signature in a drawing
program and then copy it. I drew a doodle it NewtPaint using the famous
spray tool, and then I tried to copy it to the window where owner¹s
signature has to be drawn.
I can¹t remember exactly in which moment the system crashed and with what
error, but after I restarted it it was not unable to load all the software
and kept giving me errors when I was clicking on almost everything even such
things like clock or backup and connect buttons.
Then even stranger things happened, after couple attempts to restore the
data only, it lost all the owner information and lots of software
registrations.
At the end I managed to make some sort of a half-witted backup and had to
proceed with the hard restart of the system. After multiple try-and-error
attempts I found out that I can restore everything from this backup apart
from the system information and names data, which if being restored caused
system to crash.

Can it be that trifling with signature indeed caused such a devastating
effect ?

Can anyone spread a ray of light to what happened ?

Cheers, Denis