[NTLK] Pen Computing cover

From: Gary Zambrano (Gazam_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 15:51:11 EST

Now, I have to say, that I recommend Newton Users to go out and play with an
iPaq. The new Wince OS has improved a lot of features.

The thing that impressed me the most of the WINCE/XP-like OS was the
handwriting. Although NOT as thought out as the Newton 2.x OS version, it
did recognize my writing very well.

BUT like I said, I still did the natural scrub thing to erase what I had
written and of course, you have to pull up a small keyboard to delete
things.

The record voice notes thing was really convenient also as well as
navigating the OS, yet still a little annoying here and there. The alerts
are more cutesy which brings some character to the OS.

The other thing that I liked was the icons! Visually, there are much better
and make things clearer. It think we can thank http://www.IconFactory.com
for that. They are the team that have been doing a lot of the MS icon and
product redesigns and icons. Really great work.

In general I feel the WINce OS has improved and I think it now really is a
threat to the Palm OS which I always felt looked and felt cheap. The Palm OS
is now feeling like the equivalent if we Mac users were still using Mac OS
7.6.1 (not that 7.6.1 was cheap!).

But I likes me Newton (2000). No big move from me to another platform.

I wonder if the Linux based ones would allow emulation of the Newton OS?

Peace,
Gary Z