Re: [NTLK] Apple Repair SUCKS

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 13:07:41 EST

>On 12/13/01 @ 11:59 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>The last "software" model was found in the Centris/Quadra
>660AV and the Quadra 840AV. Those 2 Macintosh were using
>the GeoPort adapter, with a software modem.

These two models were the only ones to come with the AT&T DSP chip. I
believe that the 840av's AT&T DSP chip was clocked at twice the speed of
the 660av's. They both require a special system extension to take
advantage of the DSP.

At that time, Apple's intent, from what I recall from the developer
notes, was to use this type of architecture in the future to enhance
their multimedia performance. That was back when the follow on to the
040 was going to be the 060 chip.

Then Apple decided on a different upgrade path and went with the PPC.
This was to the concernation of many. I remember the first 601 PPC based
Macs were so slow running legacy software. My 840av would kick their
butt. But then with the 603, then 603e, then 603ev, things started to
change. Of course now, there is no comparison. But there were sure
rumblings at the time that Apple had gone down the wrong path by not
using the 060.

As for the GeoPort, I know other Macs cames with it as well -- not sure
which models.

My TAM for example came with one that was color cordinated! :-)

The manual says that will support 33.6k. I never did use it so I don't
know how well it performed. I used an external modem instead. And now I
connect to the Internet via ADSL. The comm slot 10 Base-T Ethernet card
works fine, if not a little slow.

Sushi