Re: [NTLK] eMate or MP 2000

From: mi(c)i (mici_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 22:32:01 EST

> 1) Is there any reasonable way of extending memory of eMate and not
> using PCMCIA slot?

nope. but PCMCIA slot gives you wide range of options as drivers for ATA
compatible cards are being betatested. you can extend only DRAM (heap
memory) to 4MB with NewerTech upgrade but these are rare now.

> 2) Is there any big trouble with eMate. Should I pay attention in matter
> of extensibility or tendency to break ?

naah, eMate is pretty solid device. build for kids, i.e. for disastrous
conditions. watch the usual suspects: screen, backlight, keyboard, card
slot...

as for the consideration itself, i would definitely advice to choose MP2000,
yet better upgraded or MP2100. i know there is a price gap but also huge
performance difference. eMate is equipped with 25MHz processor as opposed to
162MHz on MP2x00. 4MB DRAM is very noticable too as you don't have to fiddle
with package freezing because of low heap. oh, and you have two PCMCIA slots
on MP2x00. keep data on card and add network card too.

zdravim,

--
Michael Vacik
mici_at_mac.com