Re: [NTLK] need password generator for MP 120 with OS 2.0

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 13:35:37 EST

On 11/12/01 13:28, "Stephanie Maks" <steph_at_maksystems.com> wrote:

> Sounds to me like what is required is a simple utility where you have maybe
> three options:
>
> Number of Characters?
> Alpha, numeric, or alphanumeric?
> Case Sensitive?
>
> Then tap the 'Go' button, and it returns a totally random string which meets
> the answers to the above questions. Say I am a network administrator and I
> need to give someone access to my system, and this happens so often I've
> exhausted my imagination. So I run the utility, I want an 8 character
> alphanumeric password that is case sensitive. Tap 'Go' and the Newton
> responds:
>
> New Password: cd45^&AZ
>
> Which I then use to set up the account and inform the user.
>
> I'd love one of these programs too cos, you know, I am a network
> administrator and have to assign passwords all the time.
>
> At least, that's how I interpreted the initial request, and I've been
> following the thread hoping someone would come along and say "Yes, here it
> is: xxxxx.pkg"
>
> Never even thought about hacking or breaking shareware.
>
> I used to have a program that did exactly this, back for that one month that
> I suffered a WinCE device.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of such of a program on the Newton. Not that
one doesn't exist, just that since I started using a Newton, back in 1993, I
haven't heard of any program that does that...

-Laurent.

droid n.: [from `android', SF terminology for a humanoid robot of
essentially biological (as opposed to mechanical/electronic) construction] A
person (esp. a low-level bureaucrat or service-business employee) exhibiting
most of the following characteristics: (a) naive trust in the wisdom of the
parent organization or `the system'; (b) a blind-faith propensity to believe
obvious nonsense emitted by authority figures (or computers!); (c) a
rule-governed mentality, one unwilling or unable to look beyond the `letter
of the law' in exceptional situations; (d) a paralyzing fear of official
reprimand or worse if Procedures are not followed No Matter What; and (e) no
interest in doing anything above or beyond the call of a very
narrowly-interpreted duty, or in particular in fixing that which is broken;
an "It's not my job, man" attitude.