Re: [NTLK] MP3?

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 18:56:37 EST

Grant [Routine Poutine] Hutchinson wrote:

> It's definitely not a straight-forward, transparent user interface at
> this point. But it works. Perhaps it's best to wait until MAD Newton is
> more complete or Eric has released his aforementioned utility.
>
> Eckhart, please feel free to add your dos centavos at any time.

No problem ;) You characterized the current state quite well. I am
mostly trying to put together the low level parts of the decoder. This
will result in a unit that can be integrated into other programs. The
challenge here is to implement something that can be re-used easily.

As for the actual player, there are two possiblities. Brad Tober is
planning to integrate the decoder into the Newton Audio Player and I
want to provide a simple NewtApp-based player application. There are
also different ways to get the actual files onto the Newton. The Newton
Audio Player will use the Newton Media Maker to download media files. My
test app will probably be able to download from a web server (that code
is used to play MP3 streams as well) and Eric Schneck is working on an
iTunes plug-in to manage your music from within iTunes.

It would also be nice to put music on a PCMCIA/CF card via a
laptop/desktop because the other methods could be pretty slow. But that
would require either some major work on the desktop side or a driver on
the Newton side that can provide access to DOS files on a memory card...

The decoder itself should work on any Newton, provided that about 50-60k
of system memory is available. But for the audio output to work, more
memory is needed and I think that this limits the set of Newtons to the
MP 130 and the MP2100 while the eMate (not upgraded) and the MP2000 are
likely to handle the memory requirements as well. The question is not
which Newton OS version is supported but more how much memory is available.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --