Re: [NTLK] GhostScript (linux) printing with a Newton?

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 16:20:07 EST

-->"Karel" == Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be> writes:

  Karel> It is relatively easy to print to la inux Ghostscript
  Karel> supported printer via a network connection. Unfortunately, at
  Karel> the moment my only connection to the Newton is via serial
  Karel> cable (I do have a Dacom combo modem/ethernet, but it does
  Karel> not work woth the Newton), so I was wondering if I could find
  Karel> a working intermediate solution. I guess I will have to swap
  Karel> my combo card for one that works with my MP.

you can use the serial port to establish a PPP connection to your
linux box, and then print to an lpr print queue (with ghostscript)
using that?

it's been a while since is set this up, but as i recall, on the newton
side it was pretty simple (you need a serial/PPP pkg for NIE), and on
the linux side, you have to edit /etc/inittab to get it to listen on
one of your serial ports for a PPP connection (there's likely to be an
example in the existing file).

hope this helps,