[NTLK] two Newton UMP2K problems

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 13:17:11 EST

My Newton, which I carry around in an Eagle Creek pouch with my
wallet, has been not turning on when I try to power it up. I take the
battery out, leave it for an hour, plug it in, and it resets fine. Is
there anything that would cause this behaviour to manifest itself more
often than once in a while? Requiring an hour to boot is not something
I can live with for very long.

I thought it might be that the rechargeable battery (Newton accessory)
was loose or losing contact as it bumped about in my pouch. I put in
another rechargeable battery I had bought a few years back as a spare
(never used). This battery does not appear to hold a full charge. The
Extras indicator says "Charged" when the black line is less than a
quarter "full". I can use it for a short while before it says the
battery needs recharging. Is this battery toast, or can something be
done to restore its full capacity?

Many thanks. --PR