Re: [NTLK] Problem with 2100

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 16:58:20 EST

On 12/6/01 4:23 PM, "James Elliott" <rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, that was the one. I assumed that the price wouldn't go too high
> thanks to the mention of the error. I was wondering if this was a
> problem that did not need to be fixed. I'd love to have a 2100, even
> if it had a couple of problems. I really like the thought of
> backlighting and two PCMCIA slots. Not to mention that soft button
> bar, or IrDA and etherenet support. Maybe my 120 will have to do for
> now.
>
> -James
>
>>> On 12/6/01 8:04 AM, James Elliott wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the opportunity to purchase a UMP2000 for under
>>> a 100 dollars. The catch is that on boot up, the
>>> following message appears: "This unit requires immediate
>>> repair. Factory calibration has been lost. It will not
>>> charge batteries until this problem is corrected." Other
>>> than that, it works fine. Is this a problem that should
>>> impede my quickly grabbing it up? Is it fixable?
>>
>> Are you talking about this eBay item?
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1305653331
>>
>> If so, who knows what the value will be in 4 days.
>>
>> If memory serves, it costs $180 for Apple to fix a Newton. I would think
>> that you would want to consider that as part of your purchase price
>> determination.
>>
>> The ad mentions: "Comes with serial and audio cables"
>>
>> What audio cables?!
>>
>> Makes me wonder if the person selling this device knows much about a
>> Newton devices.
>>
>> Anyhow, I would exercise caution if you are considering buying this Newt.
>> It might have some other problems as well.

James,

IIRC, this error only prevents the 2100 from recharging the internal battery
pack. I think that, unless there are other errors, you could still use it
normally. You could get a couple of set of high capacity NiMH and recharge
one set while using one set in the Newton.

Just make sure that you check with the seller that, except for the error he
mentions, there isn't any other known error or problem.

-Laurent.