Re: [NTLK] Newton Memory question

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 01:06:54 EST

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Chris Dean wrote:

> Hello Speedy2.
>
> In one word. No. I thought of the same idea as you, but after doing some
> research I discovered that the only chips that will upgrade a Newton have to
> have the following specs.

Why no?

> 16M EDO(1-Mword x 16-bit) 4k refresh ==> A single chip has 2M capacity so
> you need two chips.
> single 3.3V
> EDO page mode
> 4K refresh cycle : 64ms(128ms for L-version)
> Low power version
> T package type.

I was saying we used a 64Mbit EDO DRAM instead of the 16Mbit one.
64Mbit=8Mbytes/chip *2 = 16MBytes.

We could potentially use a 4M x 16 instead of the 1M x 16.

A potential part is the following:
http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/dram/D29_C.pdf

Certainly one would need to re-wire the chips on the board, but it's
certainly possible (I've done as much on other devices).

Would anyone be willing to "donate" an MP2000 for research purposes?

Thanks,
Speedy2.