Re: [NTLK] [OT] ANN @home is still up!

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 12:18:47 EST

Eric L. Strobel wrote

> Well, for anyone who hasn't seen the news stories... AT&T responded to
> @Home by offering an involuntary colonoscopy -- they told them to stick it
> where the sun don't shine. As a result, AT&T's @Home customers were
> summarily cut off. Comcast & Cox @Home customers are still on the air
> because these companies decided to roll over and take it. Reportedly, @Home
> will receive, over the next 3 months, an amount about equal to what AT&T was
> offering for the whole company, just to continue service. The news report I
> saw said that Comcast was effectively paying $75/month per user for the next
> 3 months. Check your cable bill, but they're really taking a bath on this.
> The e-mail I received says that by the end of February, Comcast will have
> their own network up and running. Also, apparently, part of the agreement
> is that @Home will forward e-mail after the transition, so that the whole
> thing will be transparent. (Yeah, right...)

Well, according to the latest news, @Home will close on 2/28, now that
AT&T has withdrawn their offer of $307 million. (Anybody want to bet
that they get real interested again during the asset auction?) So, I
doubt there will be much forwarding going on.

> As for me personally, I've found out that as a member of the American
> Physical Society, I've got a free e-mail forwarding service available, so
> I'm going to switch over to that over the next few months. Then I'll be at
> least a bit more insulated from crud like this in the future.

*nod* I'm think it's time to take up my alma mater on the same kind of
offer.

<<<john>>>