Re: [NTLK] [OT] 3C589 in Mac

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 17:01:09 EST

On 12/3/01 4:51 PM, "John Ruschmeyer" <jruschme_at_mac.com> wrote:

> First of all, please forgive what is a question which is somewhat
> off-topic, but I suspect that if I am to find an expert, it is here...
>
> My question: I am likely to soon be getting a used PowerBook 5300 (my
> first PowerPC PowerBook). Since I want to be able to connect it to the
> LAN at work, I started rummaging through my PCMCIA Ethernet card
> collection for a Mac-compatible card. Unfortunately nothing I have has
> vendor-supplied Mac drivers. The closest I have is a couple of 3C589C
> combo cards. Since this is actually my preferred Windows/Linux/BSD card,
> I was wondering...
>
> Is it possible to somehow use the drivers from a Farallon EtherMac
> Powerbook PC Card with a 3C589 on a Mac? i gather that it should work
> from a hardware standpoint, but is there something in the driver to
> prevent the card from being detected? Anybody else try this before?

I don't have the answer to this, and don't know if someone will have it, but
you might want to post your question to the PowerBook list on Low End Mac
<http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/index.shtml>. There should be knowledgeable
people that will answer this question, I would believe...

-Laurent.

C Programmer's Disease n.: The tendency of the undisciplined C programmer to
set arbitrary but supposedly generous static limits on table sizes (defined,
if you're lucky, by constants in header files) rather than taking the
trouble to do proper dynamic storage allocation.