Re: [NTLK] Various questions [Was: Re: newtontalk Digest V1 #380]

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 00:36:49 EST

on 01/12/01 13:18, eric engle at engleerica_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> IRDA Convertor: I have found IRDA converters which let
> you use an RS232 port as an infra red port! Is there
> any point to such? Would they work with the newton 120
> OS 2? As far as I can tell the IRDA on the newtons
> OMP-130 is pretty much useless. Or am I wrong?

Actually, there is no IrDA protocol on anything less than a Newton running
the Newton OS 2.1. OMP, MP100, MP110, MP120 and MP130 all use an infrared
protocol developed, I believe, by Sharp that was called, IIRC, ASK.

The IrDA protocol has a very basic implementation on Newton running NOS 2.1,
just the required support so that you can advertise the unit as being IrDA
compliant.

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer. Compare dead link.