Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade Web Page

From: cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 16:47:10 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Jacobson <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net>
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Friday, August 31, 2001 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade Web Page

>Dear Mr. Humphries,
>
> I also wanted to extend my congratulations on the work you are doing for
>the MP2X00 displays! So far the screens look very nice, and I look forward
>to seeing how the project turns out.
>
> However I also had a question. You mentioned on your web page that the AR
>portion of your project was not working and, therefore, would not be part
>of the upgrade. Along that line my largest complaint with the uMP2000 I
>have (besides not being able to fit it in my trousers) is that I find it
>hard to see the screen in many types of lighting, and especially difficult
>to read books off of ........

First, let me say that I'm flattered by your assumption, but I am not Mr. Humphreys. He's done a great service to the community by publishing his work on replacement backlights and I'm glad he did this, but I'm not him!

On the subject of the anti-reflection coating. This type of coating seems to work best on transmissive LCD displays, like the kind found in laptops. It has a marginal effect on the Newton's LCD, but so far I'm not convinced it will be work the cost to most users.

The upgrade I'm working on will improve the contrast of the display in many casual reading environments - places where you can't seem to find a good "angle" to read your MP2x00 display. Glare may still be a problem, since there are still two surfaces (the LCD and touchscreen) that light can bounce off of.

I'll keep updating the web page as I know more.

- Calvin