Re: [NTLK] PDF

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 10:02:00 EDT

> From: Laurent Domenech <laurent_at_opalis.com>
>

>> I know there's no PDF reader available but is there any way to
>> convert/extract from a PDF to a Newton-friendly format?
>
> Funny enough, I bought yesterday the PDF Format specs book. I'd like to try
> to make a simple PDF reader (that would only read the text).
>
> Would you guys be interested in such a reader?

if converter looks feasible, later I could provide info on how to register
it as a helper app with Newt's Cape -- so that files with PDF MIME types
would get handed to your reader (for initial development, I'd suggest just
emailing one or two into your Inbox for testing).

plain text is probably best way to start, though later preserving some
formatting thru some rudimentary HTML tagging would be nice (and I could
give you some code from my HTMList plugin that converts formatting in Notes
and NewtWorks to HTML)

good luck!

--
Steve