[NTLK] NUDrop review

From: Andy Pasulka (anp_at_imaxx.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 07:12:04 EDT

I got the Newton Underground backdrop and decided to give it a try. There
was nothing about Avi's I'd have changed, but nevertheless found the NUDrop
a bit of an improvement in some areas and deficient in others.

Likes:
File-folder tabs at the bottom of the screen to access specific categories
of your Extras drawer. Quick access to Games, Books, Applications, Unfiled
for me.

The Newton Underground logo has the Newton lightbulb. Tap on the bulb and
the backlight comes on. Clever.

Tapping on the time opens the clock, tapping on the date opens the Dates
app. Yada, yada, yada.

Up to this point, I thought NUDrop had the edge on Avi's, but then...

Dislikes:
Tapping on the Owner name doesn't give a quick access to changing your work
location.

The text/doodle area is not resizable, and there is no backdrop opportunity
like Avi's has.

It's easier to move text into columns in the the text area of Avi's, keeping
a group of information separate from others (example, I'll have a hardware
shopping list for a trip to the hardware store, and in another column a
grocery list). AFAICT, I can't make columns in NUDrop.

(this one is important). I did a soft reset because of some trouble
accessing my system sounds and lost the text in the text area of NUDrop.
Avi's stores it in its own soup, so it survives a soft reset.

Conclusion:
Avi's is the best backdrop for me, and paired with Dashboard (I'll have to
get my pennies together for registration) you've got an unbeatable access to
information on your Newt.

If anyone wants a copy of NUDrop, send me email offlist. I'll send it to you
in .sit form. I think I got it off UNNA, but now I can't find it (in order
to provide a pointer to it).

ANP

--

Emphasize repetitions (from Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies) Andy Pasulka www.imaxx.net/~anp/ anp_at_imaxx.net