[NTLK] Package fixer

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 06:38:14 EDT

> From: markmontoya_at_mindspring.com
>
> Is there a "package fixer" to check and correct corrupt Newton packages? I
> have the app for the Newt, but I am interested in an app for both Mac and Win
> based systems.

perhaps the FAQ can help. look under Newton OS.

  + 3) Packages on other platforms
    x a) On my Mac, the icon of a .pkg file is plain, and NPI refuses it.
    x b) When I download a .pkg via my Newton web browser, it's not
recognized as a package.
    x c) I can't expand StuffIt archives (on both platform).

if the file on Mac isn't corrupt, but just missing it's resource info -- so
not recognizable by connection/installer utilities, perhaps PackType can
help:
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#PackType

(Paul, there should be info in FAQ about proper settings for Stuffit
Expander on Windows; and also about Windows fixup:

If you have an error using Windows unstuff utilities where file does not
appear to be package format, set the CROSS PLATFORM preference to NEVER for
'Convert Text files to Windows format' and set to NEVER for 'Save Macintosh
files in MacBinary format'. (Otherwise, Mac resource fork (MacBinary header)
is left in).

If you have unzipped a .pkg file on a PC and it isn't recognized/installed
properly, you may be able to strip a MacBinary header using
<A HREF="http://roger.trideja.com/newton/pkgstrip.html">Pkg Stripper</A>
)

--
Steve