Re: [NTLK] Newbie NCU/NBU (on a PC) Question

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 00:56:31 EDT

I know that this is not the answer you're talking
about, but why even try to do that
backup-cable-shuffle? I don't. I never did! (well,
that's a lie...I did it twice. Both times when I sent
my newt away!)
I use these really nice 4mb cards that someone on this
list is "giving" away (ok, they're not giving them
away...they do cost money, but they are almost free!)
For a while I used a 6mb card (also practically given
away on this list) and that held almost 2 full
backups. Now I use 2, 4mb cards (father, son backups)
It's easier, quicker and far less hassle!
Try it, you'll like it!
(btw, I never use my interconnect port. I download all
my packages over the internet from my Newton Package
site (newton.tek-ed.com...for non-http1.1 browsers,
try...oops...there's something wrong with my
DNS...that sucks...OK, forget that, just use the other
URL. I'll fix my DNS tomorrow!)
Ed
web/gadget guru
holder of the autonomous Newton!

--- Ben Smith <bensmith_at_mailhost.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Ben here, long time (well a couple of months)
> lister, first time caller :)
> With a question I hope you can help me with...
>
> [flame avoidance] I _have_ read every FAQ and manual
> I can find before
> posting, so please be gentle with me :) [/flame
> avoidance]
>
> I have recently acquired a MP2000 (thanks David if
> you're still here) and
> am trying to connect it to my PC laptop via serial
> connection (sorry, no
> access to a Mac). I have downloaded both NCU and
> NBU and, in anticipation
> of problems, slowdown.exe too. I can now happily
> install packages using
> either program (no need to use slowdown.exe), but
> get a 'communications
> error -1' when trying to backup to the PC. This
> happens regardless of
> whether my 16mb flash card is inserted and also
> regardless of the settings
> on slowdown.exe, although on the slower settings I
> sometimes get to see a
> 'creating backup file' message for a few seconds.
> The FAQ talks about 'Get
> Info' on a Mac for this error, but has no info on
> what this error means on
> a PC. BTW: I'm running NT4 with 512Mb Ram on a P3.
>
> As the Newt came stacked with packages (some
> registered) I'm reluctant to
> blow the whole lot away and thought I might give SBM
> a go to see if there
> were any corrupted files. However, there is already
> an expired copy on the
> Newt and I'm reluctant to pay out to register
> something I've never used...

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...