Re: [NTLK] voice recognition Newton

From: bpearce_at_cloud9.net
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 12:18:42 EDT

>Awesome! I'm sure all of us support you all the way, as this would be an
>extremely important event for Newton users. What exactly does getting
>the software released as "unsupported freeware" entail?

In this case the situation might be a bit more murky than usual; Lernout & Hauspie (the Belgian
company that puchased Dragon Systems, which was the company that had produced the
functioning speech recognition technology for the Newton OS) has filed for Chapter 11
bankruptcy protection. The founders of the parent company (Jo Lernout and Pol Hauspie) had
resigned before the filing, and the Securities and Exchange Commission is looking into the
company's accounting practices. The majority owners of Dictaphone, a company that was
acquired by Lernout & Hauspie, have filed suit to rescind that merger.

From what I've read, it's all a very big convoluted mess.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net