Re: [NTLK] voice recognition Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 10:38:42 EDT

on 29/08/01 10:28, Mark Rollins at mark_at_mrollins.com wrote:

> Last millennium Dragon Systems (of Dragon Dictate fame) demo'ed a
> limited speech to text app (yes, that's "speech to text", not the other
> way 'round) for the MP2000/2100. As part of a "Talk to Newton" campaign,
> the software did exist.
>
> Posters were made. Ad copy was designed. Apple and Dragon sued each
> other, so this software was never released (that's also why there's no
> Dragon Dictate 5 for the Mac).
>
> I've tried in the past to get this released as "unsupported freeware".
>
> I came a step closer today. Not a baby step, and not a giant step, but a
> step. That's all I want to say now, so as to not get anyone's hopes up.
>
> Stay tuned, same Newt-time, same Newt-channel (wow does that take me back!)

Wow, Mark! If you are really able to pull this thing, you would be seriously
considered as being nominated for the "Newton Person of the Year"!!!!!

Go ahead! That would be awesome, imagine the expressions of your co-workers
and friends using their Palm, when you would just tell your Newton:

"Schedule appointment with John Doe at 2pm" and have the appointment
automatically entered.

Or "Dial John Doe home number" and have your Newton playing the dialing
tones next to your phone so the number would be automatically dialed!

The possibilities are endless!

-Laurent.

bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rich Cook